Thursday, April 15, 2010

Making Kefir Cheese aka Quark

Many people from Europe make and love quark which is a type of cheese they use in sweet or savory dishes. Johanna Budwig [from Germany] developer of the Budwig diet is where I first heard of quark. She recommends mixing flax seed oil with quark and eating it to cure different illnesses. Realizing Americans do not eat quark Budwig substituted cottage cheese for the quark in her diet.

After being on the Budwig diet for a while I wondered about making quark and what it would take to do so. Once I started making kefir I thought this would be a good substitute for the cottage cheese in the Budwig diet so I started doing some research and found others were making quark from kefir...imagine my excitement!

The great thing about kefir cheese/quark is that lactose intolerant people can eat it without any problems.

Once you start making more kefir than you can consume this is the perfect way to use it.

This is how I make kefir cheese aka quark.

Take about a quart [32 oz] of fermented kefir.
Pour it into a cotton cheese making bag or square of cotton muslin [placed in a strainer]
Close up the bag or tie up the ends of the muslin
Hang in the the refrigerator over a bowl to catch the whey
Let the whey drain off the kefir for 2 to 4 days depending on how soft you want the cheese
Once it's to the consistency you desire place the finished cheese in a covered bowl and refrigerate

You can use kefir cheese in place of cream cheese or sour cream. I mainly use it with the Budwig diet recipes of which there are many.

Another benefit of making kefir cheese is the very nutritious whey that you have left. You can add berry syrup and stevia to it for a drink or you can make smoothies, soups and breads with it. If you find you do not like whey then feed it to your plants or animals...they will love it!

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy, I saw your blog link on the cancercured list and I'm glad I checked it out. I'm going to try out your recipes.
    Thanks,
    Mr. E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Mr.E, hope you enjoy them. Thanks for stopping by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sandy,

    How much cheese do you get from 32 oz of kefir?

    Thanks,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SandyJune 25, 2012 3:28 PM

      Hi Jen,

      I get two cups of whey off of 32 oz of kefir so I imagine what's left in cheese would be nearly 2 cups.

      Quite honestly I've never really measured the cheese because I just go from the cheese making bag to the glass bowl. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, I am going to start the Budwig diet also, and am lactose intolerant. I was very excited to hear about the kefir. It sounds easy, but can I just buy a starter kit from the store to make my kefir and then make the cheese from there or do I need the kefir grains?

    Thanks so much,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammy, I suppose you can buy the starter. I've never tried it but from what I've heard it's much better to get the grains if you can. Of course there are those who like the starter just as well as the grains so it really depends on who you talk to. Either way you're on a healing path and kefir will do wonders for you.

    Best regards,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Sandy, for your quick reply. I have started making kefir, and hope it works out. Either way, I am going to implement the kefir into my diet as I have read now that it can help with dairy intolerance and has incredible health benefits for the immune system. All my problems started in my stomach, and since I have started taking fermented foods (kombucha, saurkraut and fermented wheat berry juice) my stomach just feels really good and my digestion has improved dramatically. Thanks again! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're more than welcome, Tammy and I'm so happy the fermented foods are helping you. Do you make your own fermented foods? Did you know that if you drain off the whey from your kefir [from making kefir cheese] you can use that to ferment foods.

    Here is a website that I think you'll enjoy reading about making your own fermented foods and with whey.

    http://makingsenseofthings.info/2012/02/how-to-make-sauerkraut-and-cultured-vegetables-at-home/

    I also make pineapple sauerkraut which is one of my favorites.

    Here is a recipe for fermented beets that you might like.

    Ingredients

    • vegetable starter culture
    •1 tbsp raw honey
    •6 medium beets (trimmed, peeled and sliced in 1/8-inch rounds)
    •1 1-inch knob ginger (peeled and cut into matchsticks)
    • zest of 1 medium orange
    •2 tbsp pickling spice (cinnamon, mustard seed, allspice berries, cloves, black peppercorns etc.)

    Instructions

    1.Dissolve vegetable starter culture into one-half cup filtered water and whisk in honey until the honey is thoroughly incorporated into the water. Allow the starter to sit at room temperature for about five minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.

    2.Toss together beets, ginger, orange zest and pickling spice together in a mixing bowl. Layer this mixture into a mason jar.

    3.Cover beets with the starter culture, adding filtered water, if needed, to completely submerge them beneath the liquid. Weigh the beets down, if necessary, so they rest below the level of liquid and allow them to ferment at room temperature for three to seven days before transferring to the refrigerator.

    Read more: http://nourishedkitchen.com/fermented-beets/#ixzz2WDpfxwaf

    The best of health to you, Tammy and thanks for dropping by...many blessings.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete