Saturday, April 10, 2010

My favorite...Coconut Kefir

I love coconut kefir and if you or your family likes coconut or if you're vegan then I recommend you make it.

You can use fresh coconuts and use the coconut water or make your own coconut milk. I usually buy organic canned coconut milk because I'm lazy.

Coconut Kefir

  • 2 cans coconut milk [Thai organic] or fresh coconut water or milk
  • 2-3 Tbsp. kefir grains
  • 1 quart glass mason jar with lid
  • cloth or unbleached coffee filter

Pour coconut milk into mason jar and gently stir in kefir grains. Cover the top with a cloth or unbleached coffee filter, securing it with a rubber band or cap ring, and let it culture for 24 hours (or longer if needed).

The kefir grains will rise up to the top (you'll see lumps) when they are done culturing. It should smell tangy when you open it and taste somewhat like coconut flavored yogurt when done. Drain with a colander or sieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment